The Cambria Community Services District/Cambria CSD Fire Department is currently accepting applications for the full-time Fire Chief position. For more information please contact Haley Dodson.
The Fire Chief position requirements have been modified as follows:
- The Fire Chief salary is negotiable and commensurate with experience; and
- The California State Plans Examiner certification is no longer required, but highly desirable. This certification should be obtained within one-year from date of hire.
About the Fire Chief Position
Under direction of the General Manager, the Fire Chief shall be responsible for the administration, operations, and functions of all the activities of the fire department, personnel, equipment, properties and assets and liabilities both from an operational and managerial standpoint. This will involve a total program for the protection and preservation of life and property. The position requires broad knowledge and a thorough understanding of modern fire administration, personnel management, fire prevention, fire training, fire suppression, and concepts and methods necessary to facilitate the determination of varied work, challenges and problems. The Fire Chief must be capable of working independently in supervising all technical and general operations seeing that desired work results are achieved. In addition to administrative responsibilities, the Fire Chief is expected to direct and supervise fire-fighting resources at the scene of emergencies and actively participate in fire control operations as needed.
This is a Management-Exempt Contract Position. For a full description of the position, please visit the position description below.Revised Fire Chief Job AnnouncementRevised Fire Chief Position Description
Experience & Education
The ideal candidate will have a well-rounded career that includes experience in fire prevention, training, wildland interface, operations, EMS and marine safety.
- Candidates must possess a minimum of 10 years of increasingly responsible experience, including at least three years at a supervisory level, and two years with a focus on Fire Prevention.
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with a major in fire science, administration, emergency management, or closely related field is highly preferred.
Licenses & Certifications
- Possession of the California State Chief Officer Certification is required
- A California State Plans Examiner is highly desirable
- A California State Fire Marshal Certification is highly desirable
- Possession of a current Class "B" California Driver's License, or Class “C” with “F” endorsement (must maintain satisfactory DMV record and ability to maintain insurability) is required
- Emergency Medical Technician I (EMT1), Healthcare Provider CPR and Hazardous Materials Incident Commander are required
The CCSD agrees to pay $225 annually, or up to $550 biennially, for the costs associated with required DMV physicals related to the DMV Firefighter Endorsement.
The Fire Chief shall be entitled to the following for costs associated with activities and materials deemed necessary and desirable for the Fire Chief's continued professional development, participation, growth and advancement:
- $600 annually for professional dues and subscriptions necessary for full participation in appropriate and relevant associations and organizations, including but not limited to, the International Association of Fire Chiefs, California Fire Prevention Officers and CalChiefs;
- $3500 annually for travel and subsistence expenses for professional meetings and similar functions (e.g. conferences, workshops, seminars, meetings, etc.) to foster professional development or represent the CCSD;
- Other items, activities and materials as may be agreed upon from time to time between the CCSD and Fire Chief.
- Salary $124,609 - $151,463, annually (salary negotiable and commensurate with experience)
- Two weeks of vacation for the first five years with the District (3.08 hours accrued per pay period)
- 11 holidays per year
- 96 hours of sick leave per year (3.70 hours accrued per pay period)
- District pays 85% of the health premiums currently in effect for employee & dependent coverage for the lowest cost plan available to district employees through CalPERS
- District pays 85% of the dental premiums currently in effect for employee & dependent coverage for the lowest cost plan
- After completion of probationary period, employee is eligible for the Health Care Reimbursement Program and will receive a credit of $1300 every January 1
- A Group Life Insurance Plan will be provided with a $25,000 life insurance policy, a $1,000 policy for each employee's spouse and a $1,000 policy for each employee dependent under the age of 21
- CalPERS 3% @ 60 retirement plan for covered employees hired prior to October 1, 2012, including single highest year computation and credit for unused sick leave; 2% @ 60 retirement plan for covered employees hired on or after October 1, 2012 up through December 31, 2012, including the 36 highest consecutive months’ final compensation provision; covered employees hired on or after January 1, 2013 who are defined as “new members” under PEPRA will be covered by the 2% @ 62 retirement plan and the 36 highest consecutive months’ final compensation provision. Employee pays 100% of the CalPERS employee contribution.
- CCSD agrees to match Employee contributions to Employer-sponsored supplemental retirement fund (457 Plan) up to $100 per payroll period
- Fire Chief accrues 80 hours of administrative leave per year
- CCSD provides the Fire Chief with a vehicle for business related use. The Fire Chief's response vehicle shall be equipped with the necessary equipment to facilitate emergency response and command and control communications. The vehicle may be used by the Fire Chief for normal business activities, travel to and from work, call outs and inspections, attendance at professional meetings, training programs, seminars, conferences and for attendance at community and regional meetings, events and any functions at the Fire Chief's official capacity.
- Fire Chief is provided with a cell phone or stipend, paid for by the CCSD
- Fire Chief receives $1,000 annually as a uniform and boot allowance
This position is open until the needs of the District are met. To be considered for this opportunity please apply immediately and submit a cover letter, resume, completed district application and proof of experience, education, licenses and certifications to:
Electronic submittals are strongly preferred. All applicants will be reviewed and only those candidates determined to be most qualified for the position on the basis of experience, training and education as submitted, will move forward in the hiring process. The candidate who has successfully completed all prior phases of the hiring process will be subject to a thorough background investigation.