Update 8/1/2022: The Cambria CSD Fire Department is currently accepting applications for one SAFER Firefighter Paramedic. The department is testing to fulfill a potential opening and create a qualifying employment list. This position is open until the needs of the District are met. For first consideration, apply immediately. For more information, please review the position description and announcement below or contact Haley Dodson.SAFER Firefighter Paramedic Announcement
About the SAFER Firefighter Paramedic Position
Under supervision of an engine company officer, the SAFER Firefighter responds to fires, medical aids, rescues, hazardous materials incidents, motor vehicle accidents, and other emergency and non-emergency incidents. The SAFER Firefighter maintains a state of mental and physical readiness to respond to emergency calls. The SAFER Firefighter participates in training activities, maintains fire equipment and facilities, performs public education and fire prevention duties, and assists in training reserve firefighters, as well as other duties. SAFER Firefighters will work with a full-time or reserve officer on 24-hour shifts as the fourth person on the engine.
The SAFER Grant was intended to provide funding for three firefighter/paramedics for a three-year period, which would allow for the addition of one firefighter/paramedic on each of the three shifts, to increase the daily staffing level to a four-person engine company daily. This staffing model includes a full-time captain, full-time engineer, SAFER Grant funded firefighter/paramedic, and a reserve firefighter. Unless additional funding is available, at the end of the three-year period, the SAFER Grant funded firefighter/paramedic positions will end on January 1, 2025 and the engine would return to a three-person staffed engine.
This is a grant funded, full-time, limited three-year term position and will expire on January 1, 2025. The SAFER Firefighter position will not exist outside of grant funds. There will be no COLAs for the position due to the limited grant funding available.
To review the full position description, please click the link below.SAFER Firefighter Paramedic Position Description
- High School Graduate or equivalent
- United States citizen or legal right to remain in the United States
- San Luis Obispo County paramedic certificate/accreditation
- Current Health Care Provider CPR or equivalent
- Hazardous Materials First Responder Operational certified
- Valid California driver license with either non-commercial Firefighter Endorsement or Class B commercial license, with driving and operating experience. (Applicants who do not possess the required DMV license, or CPR certification may be admitted to the testing process but must possess the required license or certification prior to being appointed.)
- Must be State Marshal Firefighter 1 certified
Some minimum requirements may be waived upon substantial demonstration and documentation of substitute fulfillment.
SAFER Firefighter Paramedic Benefits
- Starting Salary of $55,124 to $60,773
- Paramedic Compensation of $600/month
- CalPERS Retirement 3% At 50 For Covered Employees; 3% at 55 for PEPRA; 2.7% at 57 for New Members
- $25,000 Life Insurance Policy
- Health Reimbursement Account
- Health/Dental Insurance
- Clothing & Boot Allowance
- Vacation/Sick Leave/Holiday Leave
How to Apply
This position is open until the needs of the District are met. For first consideration, apply immediately. Please submit the completed employment application, proof of minimum requirement documentation, resume and certifications to email@example.com.