A. Paid sick leave is available to all employees for all uses permitted by law as set forth in the District’s Personnel Policies and Procedures.
Each full-time employee, assigned to a 40-hour workweek, shall accrue sick leave from the date of employment at the rate of 4.6 hours per 14-day payroll period (or 120 hours per year).
B. Each full-time employee, assigned to a 56-hour average workweek, shall accrue sick leave from the date of employment at the rate of 6.4 hours per 14-day payroll period (based on 120 hours per year times the conversion factor of 1.4).
C. Regular part-time employees shall accrue sick leave on a pro rata basis according to hours worked.
D. Unused sick leave may be accumulated without limit.
E. Sick leave may be taken for reasons provided by law as set forth in the District’s Personnel Policies and Procedures, and such reasons as personal illness or injury; required attendance of an employee to care for a sick or injured spouse, recognized domestic partner, child, or other immediate family member residing with the employee; medical or dental appointments.
F. Upon termination of employment in good standing (i.e., resignation/retirement excluding disciplinary termination and resignation/retirement in lieu of disciplinary termination), of a full-time or regular part-time employee, such employee shall be paid for 50% of accumulated unused sick leave, to a maximum of 900 hours for employees assigned to a forty-hour workweek (50% times 900 hours = 450 hours possible), and to a maximum of 1260 hours for employees assigned to a 56-hour average workweek (50% times 1260 = 630 hours possible).
G. Employees may voluntarily transfer up to forty (40) hours of unused sick leave per fiscal year in one (1) hour increments to a "sick leave bank" under the conditions established herein. The sick leave transfer shall be on an hour for hour basis and subject to the following conditions:
- The employee donating the sick leave must have a minimum of eighty (80) hours of accrued sick leave available after the donation. No transfers of sick leave shall be allowed when the donating employee is terminated, separated or retires from the CCSD within nine (9) months after the donation. All transfers to the "sick leave bank" shall be non-reversible and donations shall be processed on the CCSD's Personnel Action Form in the same manner as any other leave request.
- Employees eligible to receive sick leave hours from the "sick leave bank" must have been employed by the CCSD for a minimum of eighteen (18) months, have exhausted all paid leave and are suffering from a long term illness or injury that will result in the loss of work for a period of at least twenty consecutive (20) working days. These "sick leave bank" provisions shall extend to the required attendance of an employee for the care of a spouse, child or other immediate family member residing with the employee. The General Manager shall review, approve, modify or deny requests for use of the "sick leave bank" based on the employee requests and the criteria established in this Section.
- Employees utilizing the "sick leave bank" may integrate these benefits with the provisions of the Section of this MOU entitled “State Disability Insurance” for SDI integration, as well as Worker's Compensation integration, provided however, that the total compensation from these sources combined shall not exceed the employee’s base salary.
- The CCSD reserves the right to request additional information on the nature of the injury or illness and/or require verification from a medical doctor regarding the diagnosis prior to making an eligibility determination.
- The maximum sick leave available for use by an eligible employee during any twelve (12) month period shall be the lesser of 1056 hours or the amount of sick leave available in the "sick leave bank". Allocation of hours from the "sick leave bank" shall commence on the date that all other leave of the requesting employee is exhausted. Subsequent eligibility by additional employees for use of the "sick leave bank" shall result in the concurrent use of available hours in the "sick leave bank".
H. A sick leave incentive plan shall be provided for the conversion of twenty-four (24) hours of sick leave to vacation or pay if no sick leave is used by an employee during the calendar year provided that the employee was employed continuously from January 1st through December 31st. The employee must request the conversion during the month of January for the previous calendar year. Failure to request the conversion during January will result in ineligibility for conversion for the previous calendar year. All requests for conversion are non-reversible and shall require prior approval by the General Manager.
I. Unit members shall be eligible for benefits under the California Family Rights Act or Federal Family Medical Leave Act pursuant to state and federal law or District policy. Leaves of absence will run concurrently with the CFRA or FMLA when applicable.