Public Education Programs
The CCSD Fire Department has an active fire and life safety education program for all age groups in the community. On any given day, you'll find Fire personnel providing fire prevention and safety tips to individuals, groups, and schools.
The Department provides ongoing education on preventing injuries, child car seat safety, smoke detector operations and many other fire and safety issues. The Department also offers ocean rescue training to the San Luis Obispo County Lifeguard Program. If you or your organization would like to schedule a tour of the Department or want the CCSD Fire Department to make a presentation about fire and safety, please call 927-6240.
Fire Safe Focus
The Cambria Fire Safe Focus Group is a local focus group of the San Luis Obispo County Fire Council, which is a County focus group of the California State Fire Safe Council. The Fire Safe Council is comprised of stakeholders in community fire prevention and especially wildland fire pre-planning, community education and preparedness. The Cambria Fire Safe Focus Group was established to improve local fire safety especially from a wildland fire. Their mission is to mobilize Cambrians to protect our community, homes, businesses and environment from wildfire.
To help Cambrians become aware of the potential for a major wildland fire in Cambria by:
- Public education and outreach.
- Identify fire-safe practices, landscaping and defensible space around your home or business.
- Identify fire-safe construction and reducing fire embers ability to enter the inside of a building or ignite the building exterior.
- Hold community requested neighborhood meetings to promote wildland fire safety and preparedness.
- Coordinate and deliver Fire Safe Chipping events to reduce accumulated dead wildland fuels and to enhance defensible space around buildings.
- Increase awareness and public education regarding evacuation safety, routes and family and business plans.
Fire Safe Chipping Events
The Cambria Fire Safe Council conducts an annual Fire Safe Chipping Weekend every year for properties with structures on them. This opportunity is available to assist homeowners in reducing the combustible vegetation around their homes. This work is done cooperatively by local volunteers, the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, the California Conservation Corps and the Cambria Community Services District Fire Department. For more information, please contact the Fire Department at 927-6240.
The Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) program is crucial in areas where residents may have to wait for resources and assistance in the event of a major disaster. It allows participants to become more self-sufficient following a disaster, provide emergency assistance to families and co-workers, and work as a team in their workplace or neighborhood during a disaster.
For details on the next workshop, please call 927-6240. Pre-registration is required. Workshops are held at the Cambria Fire Station.